The Islands Galore Cruise
The outer Hebrides holds a special place in many sailors hearts. Simply getting there, for many, involves passage through Scotland's most beautiful shortcut, the Crinan Canal or rounding the iconic, and much sung about, Mull of Kintyre. However you get there the treasures of island cruising rarely disappoint.
The Islands Galore Cruise, from Castlebay to Lochboisdale race, launching in 2022 brings together the spirit of community and exploration in a single event. With shoreside activities hosted by the local community and a cruise in company supported by the Clyde Cruising Club we welcome you to join us as we sail the sea of the Hebrides.
In 2022 the route will start from Castlebay on the 13th August 2022 heading east into the sea of the Hebrides before turning North. Heading North through the sea of the Hebrides we will turn west towards Lochboisdale and shoreside festivities. With the local community putting on a range of activities it's time to enjoy some fine Outer Hebrides hospitality.
The provisional route for the 2022 event starting at Castlebay on the Isle of Barra is shown above.
The inaugural event has no charge, is open to all boaters and you can reserve your place here.
The provisional shoreside activities are;
Saturday 13th August
Afternoon (2pm onwards)
- Live music and dancing (marquee)
- Pipe band / pipers
- Highland Dancing display
- Croft & Cuan food vendors
- Skydancer fresh coffee & treats
- North Uist Distillery Gin
- Licensed bar
- Uist Shopping Experience selection of local crafts and businesses including fresh seafood
- Salar Hebridean Smokehouse
- Childrens inflatables and face painting
- Uist Sea Tours - boat trips & paddles boards
- Skiffs and dinghies
- RSPB information trailer
Evening (approx, 6pm - 9pm)
- Talk about Flora MacDonald
- Welcome to sailors followed by evening ceilidh in marquee with live band
- Live music continuing in Lochboisdale Hotel bar til late
Sunday 14th August
- Fisherman's mass
- Blessing of the boats
- Tea, coffee, baking
- Short ceilidh
Last updated 14:04 on 12 November 2022